New iPass Mobile Workforce Report finds Majority of Mobile Employees Never Disconnect from Technology and Carry Multiple Mobile Devices
Quarterly report reveals mobile workforce always at the ready, even connecting during vacation
REDWOOD SHORES, Calif., —Aug. 24, 2010 — iPass Inc. (NASDAQ: IPAS), a leading provider of enterprise mobility services, today published its quarterly Mobile Workforce Report. The report includes a mobile employee survey which uncovered several enterprise mobility trends:
- The mobile device continues to be a tether creating an on-demand workforce. The majority of respondents (53.6 percent) never truly disconnect from technology. For the 46.4 percent of mobile employees that do on occasion disconnect, their reasons were mostly situational (e.g., in a location with poor connectivity). Even while on vacation, 94 percent of mobile employees connect to the Internet, and the majority connect for work.
- Mobile workers are used to carrying multiple mobile devices. Nearly 97 percent of mobile employees carry two or more mobile devices, and almost 50 percent carried three or more.
- Mobile workers use their mobile devices to blend work and personal business. More than 90 percent of employees use their smartphone for both work and personal business. Even among users of consumer devices like the iPad and tablet PC, 91 percent currently use it or plan to use it for work. The line between consumer and business applications has also blurred. Most respondents use email, calendar, text messaging and browsing for both work and personal on their smartphones. The only exception is social media, which is rarely accessed for work.
- There is a resurgence of Wi-Fi access among smartphone users. While the majority of smartphone users are choosing Wi-Fi to connect, the primary reason stated (31.8 percent) is because it is faster than 3G.
“A mobile workforce offers significant benefits to enterprises, although those benefits are not without costs,” said Evan Kaplan, CEO of iPass. “Enterprises need services to manage the proliferation of devices, measure mobile workforce productivity and structure liability, mitigate risk, ensure access, and contain costs.”
About the Report
The iPass Mobile Workforce Report is published quarterly and based on two sources:
- More than 1,100 survey responses from mobile enterprise employees between July 12 and July 30, 2010 (54 percent from North America, 30 percent from Europe and 10 percent from Asia Pac).
- Enterprise mobile broadband usage data collected by iPass across its user base from April 1 through June 30, 2010.
About iPass Inc.
Founded in 1996, iPass (NASDAQ: IPAS) is a leading provider of enterprise mobility services with 3,500 customers, including more than 420 of the Forbes Global 2000. Additional information is available at www.iPass.com or on Smarter Connections, the iPass blog.
# # #
iPass® is a registered trademark of iPass Inc. Other company names and product or service names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.